On the occasion of the International Day of Women and Girls in Science, we interviewed our Chemistry Manager, María Martínez, from Sanifruit’s R+D+I Department.
María, what are your functions at Sanifuit?
– I am the chemical’s area manger in the innovation departent. Also, I’m in charge of production.
My day-to-day work consists of continuous support to the rest of the innovation team in the formulation of the different products under development, the constant search for natural products that can extend the post-harvest life of the fruits, the continuous improvement of the products we have, supporting the quality department and managing the production of our products.
What is the research’s role for the post-harvest of the future?
– Research has a key role to play in the future. Thanks to it, we are managing to improve our customers’ current processes, making them more efficient, effective and sustainable. Also we are contributing to provide the market with healthier fruit, free of harmful chemicals for the consumer.
How do you see the market and is chem-free treatment in demand?
– We are asked for it every day. We see it every day. This is no longer the future. It is the immediate present. Doing the same old thing is no longer useful. Markets are changing, the sector is evolving and nobody wants to be left behind. Sanifruit is where it needs to be and is a reference for many customers who have seen how new options are opening up, new markets and a chance to differentiate themselves by opting for chem-free treatments.
What is the Sanifruit formula for success?
– The formula is commitment + effort + constant innovation = success. The whole Sanifruit team is convinced that anything can be improved or done in a different way than “conventional” and that is what is making us grow as we are doing, starting more than 30 years ago with citrus until today, when we have solutions for a multitude of crops.
In which vectors will Sanifruit focus its research in the coming years?
– We are betting on crop diversification, but also on ways of application and improvements in customer processes. As I mentioned before, we started 35 years ago with only citrus solutions and selling only in Spain. Today the company’s research lines are focused on other types of crops and we sell all over the world. Recently a solution for peppers and another one for avocado was launched on the market, which have been a revolution in the sector, because there is nothing like it.
What role do women play in research at Sanifruit?
– Not only in the innovation department, but throughout the company, more than half of the team is made up of women, many of them in positions of responsibility. Women who are convinced that Sanifruit has to be at the forefront of post-harvest science without residues and who work every day to offer our customers innovative and effective solutions.